Friday, December 17, 2010

Breaking All The Rules

Ok, maybe not all of the rules...

But I did do some Christmas baking and candy making today.

I debated yesterday on whether or not to do it. 

And I caved this morning.

I took two recipes from A Whisk and  A Prayer: Snickers and Cookie Brittle.

They were both phenomenal.

She does a much better job at food photography than I do, so I'll let you head over there to check out the recipes and pictures. 

I will say a few things though:

1. The nougat in the Snickers stays pretty chewy and it has made the cutting of my large candy block difficult. I don't know how to remedy that, just a word of warning.

2. If you go ahead and eat all of the edges of the Snickers, you may go into a diabetic coma. I'm serious!

3. If you make the cookie brittle, I would get the butter to the almost melt stage, it makes it much easier to mix.

4. The longer you cook the brittle, the more brittle it will be. Seems logical, but I kept thinking that I was going to overcook it so I ended up with two very different things - a more chewy cookie and a real brittle-y cookie. I guess it depends on your taste.

Since I skipped the food photography this time, I took a few pictures of my kitchen in the process:

A completed pan of cookie brittle - with a combo of milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips.

 You can see the beginning of the snickers there in the foreground - it is the nougat layer.
 
Does anyone want to come clean for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment