Monday, October 10, 2011

Week Three

I can't believe it is officially week 3 of the challenge. 


I also can't believe that I haven't posted since Friday - sorry.


We'll start with the food logs, but stick around to the end for a delicious new recipe!


Saturday, Oct. 8


breakfast - 6:45 am: 2 eggs, 2 slices bacon, grande Americano
8:00 am: 18 holes of golf
lunch - 1:00 pm: hamburger patty with tomatoes and pickles (golf tourney lunch)
snack - 2:30 pm: pumpkin souffle
dinner - 6:30 pm: spinach and sweet potato salad with bacon and grilled chicken thigh


Sunday, Oct. 9


breakfast - 8:30 am: 3 eggs, coffee
10:00 am: 2 mile hike
snack - noon: almond butter
lunch - 2:30 pm: pot roast with carrots and salad with avocado, olive oil, and vinegar
dinner - 7:30 pm: pork ribs


Monday, Oct. 10


5:00 am: WOD
3 rounds
400 m run
10 Toes to Bar
20 Wall Balls 14#
13:31


breakfast - 6:30 am: 2 eggs, peach, and coffee
snack - 9:30 am: raw almonds
lunch - 11:45 am: salad with avocado, grilled chicken, olive oil, and vinegar
dinner - 5:45 pm: pork ribs with roasted red cabbage and cauliflower


Now for the recipe:


When I got home from the tournament on Saturday I was wanting to cook up something delicious for dinner. My new go-to website for Paleo inspiration is everydaypaleo.com. She makes some really good things, and I usually get some good ideas from her posts. 


So I stumbled across her recipe for Warm Spinach and Sweet Potato Salad and modified it a little (because that's how I roll). I'll post the original recipe here and add my changed in red.




Warm Spinach and Sweet Potato Salad

3 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes

1 tbsp coconut oil
1 apple diced (I skipped the apple because I don't like fruit in my salad as a general rule)
8 strips of bacon, diced
2 leeks, thinly sliced (I refuse to cook with leeks because you have to soak them for like 83 hours to get all of the sand out - I substituted one shallot)
6 oz of fresh baby spinach
Handful of sliced almonds for garnish
Dressing
¼ cup olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp spicy brown mustard (from Trader Joe’s) (I used brown mustard from Fry's)
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 tbsp of dried basil (I never have dried basil so I frequently substitute dried parsley)
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Preheat your oven to 400.  Toss the diced sweet potatoes with the coconut oil and spread evenly on a baking sheet.  Bake in your preheated oven for 20 minutes.  While the sweet potatoes are baking, cook the diced bacon in a large skillet.  Once the bacon is crispy, add the sliced leeks in with the bacon and saute for another 4-5 minutes.  Put your spinach in a large salad bowl and add the bacon and leek mixture. Toss well, letting the warm bacon wilt the spinach.  Add the apples and sweet potatoes to the salad and toss together.  In a separate bowl whisk together the salad dressing ingredients.  Pour over the salad, mix well and garnish with the sliced almonds.
I also grilled up some chicken thighs with garlic salt on them and cut them up and added them to the salad before the dressing. I like to make my salad a full meal when possible.
Seriously - this salad was DELISH! 
If I were not in the middle of this Paleo Challenge and had blue cheese in the fridge I probably would have added a little of that to this salad as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment